Principal - Mary Kimber
Mary Kimber is an accomplished marketing professional, with more than 25 years of experience working with lawyers and leading marketing operations for law firms. As a former Chief Marketing Officer for an AMLAW-100 firm based in Washington, DC and a regional mid-sized firm in Denver, Mary has been successful in connecting lawyers to clients throughout her career. Her award-winning campaigns have not only set those firms apart, but ultimately garnered first-mover awareness, new clients and revenue growth. After a successful career working inside of law firms, Mary formed Fort Kimber Partners in 2013 with the goal of focusing on the things she does best, including bringing her considerable experience to bear in developing innovative programs for law firms and practices.
BRYAN CAVE LLP, Denver, Colorado – Regional Director of Marketing & Business Development, 2012-2013
With the merger of Bryan Cave LLP and HRO in January, 2012, Mary stayed on to serve in the role of Regional Director of Marketing and Business Development for the Mountain Region, including three offices in Colorado as well as Phoenix, Arizona, while also serving as liaison to three Client Service Groups firm wide, including Energy and Natural Resources; International Trade; and Non-profit and Exempt Organizations. She served on the firm wide Integration Committee and led the team working to deepen name ID of a new and unknown brand in the Denver market. To strengthen the new platform to existing clients, Mary also initiated and executed the combined firm’s client feedback protocol and program, together with members of the Executive Committee, conducting 15 client interviews of key clients. She was successful in cross-marketing the expanded practice platform by pitching and winning new work, thus driving revenue to the new, combined firm. In 2013, Mary was named an Outstanding Legal Professional by Law Week Colorado, (August 19, 2013).
HOLME ROBERTS & OWEN LLP, Denver, Colorado – Chief Marketing Officer, 2010-2011
As HRO’s first CMO, Mary was responsible for reorganizing the marketing department to fill gaps in skill sets necessary to build and implement a business development operation for this 115 year-old, 200 lawyer firm. Facets included systemizing processes where none existed for client research; analysis of industry trends, prospecting and leads development; responses to RFPs, cross-selling institutional clients; a client interview program; lateral recruiting and integration; and working with the Practice Management Committee to devise a plan for the viability and successful future of the firm. During the first year Mary was CMO, the firm was impacted by dramatic change in leadership, loss of key partners and offices, restructuring business operations and finally, implementing a strategy to explore possible merger partners. Despite the structural and economic challenges, Mary was successful on a number of fronts and was a key member of the team that led to the successful partnership vote to merge into Bryan Cave LLP, on January 1, 2012.
PATTON BOGGS LLP, Washington, D.C. – Chief Marketing Officer, 2003- 2010
Mary was promoted to CMO in 2007 after serving for four years as Director of Marketing. As CMO, she was one of four officers of the firm overseeing operations firm wide. She took a collaborative approach with management to develop strategic business plans, budget, staff and attorney programs which supported the firm’s projected annual growth, as well as ensured that the firm adhered to best practices in firm wide communications, attorney and staff retention, corporate social responsibility and diversity. Mary demonstrated value in utilizing financial analytics and IT solutions to marketing and business development initiatives, and worked closely with the Business Development Partner, Managing Partner, Marketing Committee and Department Group Leaders on major marketing initiatives, firm wide developments and strategic direction. Specifically, as CMO, Mary managed a department of 17 professionals working in the U.S. and international offices, including reorganization of the department, mentoring, evaluations and performance, and professional development of staff. She developed and oversaw an annual departmental budget in excess of $4M to achieve firm’s strategic marketing goals and worked with firm management to design and implement a three-year strategic plan, including systemizing a methodology for client intelligence gathering, targeting by industry and practice focus, firm financial analysis and development of client teams for cross-selling. In addition, she regularly worked with a variety of consultants on firm projects including baseline brand survey and analysis, launch of new brand and web site, collateral materials and external communication tools, among others. As CMO of Patton Boggs, Mary won numerous industry awards and accolades for her innovative products and programs, including, The Burton Awards for Legal Writing “Best Law Firm Publication;” “Excellence in Marketing – Best Use of Technology,” by the Marketing Partner Forum Innovation Awards; numerous “Pearl Awards” from The Custom Publishing Council, and the Legal Marketing Association award for “Best Internal Communications Program.” Finally, in 2010, she was named a “Top Ten CMO” (and the only law firm winner) by Washington DC-based Smart CEO Magazine. Other accomplishments under Mary’s leadership included:
- Development of award-winning marketing collateral, including custom-published Capital Thinking magazine; Annual Report; Litigation Achievements; Corporate Social Responsibility Report; podcasts, blogs, web videos and other industry-leading products and tools
- Development of press relations and media campaigns, including editorial calendar, article placement, electronic media, strategic community sponsorships and alliances with trade organizations for greater penetration of professionals in the media
- Development of strategic events and sponsorships, targeting and follow-up for the firm’s four major legal departments and in excess of 30 practice groups, including oversight of more than 100 programs in a typical year
- Developed content and programs for strategic retreats, which were designed to discuss and leverage the firm’s growth in practice groups, major cities or countries
- Worked with the Diversity Committee Chairs to re-launch the firm’s diversity initiatives, including the creation of a Corporate Diversity Advisory Board, comprised of Chief Diversity Officers for corporate clients and non-clients, the Deans of three law schools, key leadership from significant affinity organizations and others. The group met quarterly to provide advice and best practices related to attracting and retaining talent to the firm.
PATTON BOGGS LLP, Denver, CO – Regional Marketing Manager, 1999 – 2003
GENE NICHOL FOR CONGRESS, Boulder, CO – Finance Director, 1998
WHITE AND STEELE, P.C., Denver, CO – Client Services Coordinator, 1995-1997
- Bachelor of Fine Arts – San Francisco Art Institute
- Paralegal Studies – San Francisco State University, Extension Program – Audit
- Marketing Certificate – University of Colorado at Denver, 10 week Professional Development Series
- Graduate – Colorado Institute for Leadership Training
- Graduate – Access Denver Program, Denver Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce
- Center for Legal Inclusiveness – Board member, 2013 – 2014
- Women’s Leadership Foundation – Charter Member
- Colorado Women’s Chamber of Commerce – Board Member, 2010 – 2013
- National Legal Marketing Association (LMA); past President-Elect, Rocky Mountain Chapter LMA; past Board Member – P.R. Chair, Capital Chapter LMA
- Advisory Board Member – The Marketing Partner Forum, 2007
Photo Credit: Beckie Guillot-Beinke
You many contact Mary by email at email@example.com or direct dial at 720.373.5067.